The Knights will be on the road this weekend to continue their stretch of six straight games against the San Diego Sabers. Phoenix is 3-0-2 in their last five games, which included a three-game sweep of the Sabers last weekend at AZ Ice Gilbert.
San Diego has lost their last ten games, and will coming into this weekend in last place in the Western Division with a 1-14-0 record.
Last season, we had the #KnightsGIFParty during the road series against the San Diego Sabers. It was a big hit, so we’re coming back with something similar this season! On Saturday, the Knights and Sabers will face off at 8:15pm (9:15pm AZ time). With the late puck drop, the Knights Twitter account (@PhxKnightsJrA) will be using #LateKnight and sending out GIFs from late night talk shows along with the usual updates.
We invite you to join in on the fun using the hashtag #LateKnight during Saturday’s game.
Western States Shootout
The Western States Shootout isn’t too far away. The league-wide showcase will be December 19-22 in Las Vegas. The league announced this week that the games will be played at City National Arena, the practice facility for the Vegas Golden Knights, along with a few games at SoBe Ice Arena. The host hotel for the showcase is the Stratosphere Hotel and Casino, and the league has a special deal for families and fans of the WSHL. For more information, click here.
The schedule for the showcase, which will include three games for each team, will be released as we get closer to the event.
Players to Watch
1. Rhett Bruckner (3-3-2, 4.08 GAA, 0.898 SV%) – Bruckner is coming off an incredible weekend against the San Diego Sabers. He started in net for all three games against the Sabers, including a 39-save shutout last Saturday. Over those three games, Bruckner compiled a 3-0-0 record, 1.69 GAA and a 0.958 SV%. If he can do more of the same this weekend, expect another big weekend for the Knights.
2. Joe Platt (3G, 0A in 15GP) – Platt scored in each of the three games against San Diego last weekend, including a one-timer on the power play on Sunday. As the Knights are looking for more secondary scoring, Platt has thrown his name in the hat as a guy who could do just that moving forward.
3. Michael Caravella (5G, 12A in 18GP) – Caravella was a player to watch last weekend, and responded with a four-goal performance on Friday, and five more assists split up between Saturday and Sunday. So, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Caravella is definitely a player to watch again this weekend when the same two teams meet up in San Diego.
1. Michal Kolarik (5G, 3A in 15GP) – Kolarik came into last weekend without a point in six straight games, but that quickly changed. The 20-year-old from Czech Republic had a hat-trick on Friday night, and a goal and an assist performance on Sunday. After the five-point weekend, Kolarik now leads the Sabers in scoring.
2. Ondrej Imrich (4G, 2A in 14GP) – One of the Sabers top defensemen, Imrich is on the ice a lot for San Diego. He also had his first multi-point game of the season last Friday (1G, 1A) against the Knights. In his last four games, Imrich has two goals and two assists.
3. Matt Soldano (0-2-0, 7.10 GAA, 0.831 SV% and 0G, 0A in 3GP) – You’ve probably heard of a two-way player, meaning they’re a well-rounded player. But what about a goalie who can also be a forward? That’s exactly what Soldano did last weekend at AZ Ice Gilbert. In each of the three games, Soldano, for the first time in his junior career, skated as a forward for the Sabers. He nearly got a goal in the series, but ended without a point in the three-game set. It’s unknown if he’ll continue to play as a forward this weekend, or if he’ll return between the pipes for the Sabers, but either way he is poised to make an impact this series.
Friday, November 10 at 7:45pm (8:45pm AZ time) - @ San Diego
Saturday, November 11 at 8:15pm (9:15pm AZ time) - @ San Diego - #LateKnight
Sunday, November 12 at 12pm (1pm AZ time) - @ San Diego
Friday, November 17 at 7pm – vs. Fresno
Saturday, November 18 at 7pm – vs. Fresno
Sunday, November 19 at 1pm – vs. Fresno
Friday, December 1 at 7pm – vs. El Paso
Saturday, December 2 at 7pm – vs. El Paso
Sunday, December 3 at 1pm – vs. El Paso